Thursday, March 5, 2009

FedEx Ground Contractor Wives Club!!

I married a Fedex Ground Contractor 5 years ago. This is a real job. I think the wives of these contractors should receive a weekly settlement for having to put up and deal with all the bs that goes along with it or give them some kind of supplement or even an extra .04 on the mile for the wife.
1. Have you ever tried to read one of these settlement statements? This is like trying to figure out the zodiac cipher.
2. How many times were you laying in bed, almost asleep, and the damn phone rings and as soon as he hangs up you hear your husband ranting and raving for 2 hours after he hung up and this continues on until the next morning and possibly into the next day.
3. How many vacations have you taken? Well not very many. We schedule our vacations from Saturday to Sunday. 2 wonderful days with a possibility of maybe NO interruptions. ok that was a lie. We have taken vacations but we have to pay dearly.. financially and mentally. We try to go somewhere with in a 4 or 5 hour radious so if something major happens we are not that far out.
4. This contract they have is worded in a way that every aspect of it there is a damn addendum that rebuts every section of the contract. Why have one?
All in all its not that bad for me because I also work a full time job so I can leave the house but as soon as I get home its fedex time.

I use to work at FedEx Ground so I can see both sides of the situations. I see Fedex side and I see my husbands side. I try to make him see the Fedex side of things and he gets upset with me because I am usually right. Things can go good for 3 or 4 months and then boom bang doo loppity pow all hell breaks loose. I try to explain he needs to take the good with the bad. You go 4 months no problems and then all of a sudden 1 issue arises and its the end of the world. Well surprise honey... I wish I could have a job and only 1 problem every 4 months. I have learned the one downfall of being a contractor is you never gain any seniority. It does not matter if you have been there 15 years or 5 years you are all treated the same. Same pay, Same treatment. You never gain anything with years of service. Not even respect.

Now onto the contractor/employee lawsuit issues. My husband would die if he had to become an employee. We have discussed this many of times due to the recent stories of all these contractors suing for employee status. He enjoys his freedom to come and go as he pleases. The free time he has. I noticed some of the managers do not understand the contract nor do they know the definition of independent contractor. If some of these newbie managers would take a contract course I think things would work better. You just have to remind them they are crossing the boundaries read section blah blah in my contract you cannot do this.

I am anxiously awaiting his 2 a.m. phone call tonight..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!! I so much agree with you. This seems like my household. I have been married to a contractor for 7 years and it is non stop phone calls. He has 3 tractors and 4 drivers and bitches all day long. Whether its fedex or his drivers. We are located in Kansas. I had to quit my job and go on the company payroll just to help him deal with everything from the mounds of paperwork due weekly, monthly, or yearly. Truck drivers drive trucks, they are not paperwork type guys..